Membership in the New York Financial Writers' Association Inc., subject to board approval, is open to any journalist who has worked for at least six months covering business and financial news either fulltime or freelance at a recognized news outlet in the metropolitan area. Temporary membership is granted to all applicants pending a final approval. No applicant shall be approved unless, in the membership committee's view, the applicant is employed by an organization where they enjoy editorial independence, as well as those working fulltime as editors/writers for publicly available analytical publications produced by financial services firms and ratings agencies. Freelance journalists specializing in business or financial journalism for at least six months and contributing to such organizationsare also eligible. However, more than 50% of freelance applicants' income must be derived from business or financial journalism.
Dues are $50 a year and must be paid at the time of application. Students pay $10 a year. We accept Amex, Visa and MasterCard.
Please mail your membership fee to the New York Financial Writers' Association, PO Box 338, Ridgewood, NJ 07451-0338, or forward your credit card number and expiration date by phone (201-612-0100), fax (201-256-4115) or email firstname.lastname@example.org
To apply, email the following information to email@example.com and attach a resume:
- Full name, employer, title, business address, business phone, home address, home phone, preferred email, cell phone, twitter account (if you have one), website/blog (if you have a personal one), and areas of expertise as well as answers to the following questions:
- How long have you been a financial journalist and where?
- What is your reason for applying?
- Do you have any other sources of income?
- If freelance, in what publications has your recent work appeared?
- Are you acquainted with current NYFWA members?
- Where would you like your mail sent, home or office?